Blackford and Tullibardine are situated at the northern edge of the Ochil Hills on
the southern edge of Strathearn.
Springs and pure fresh water
have long been central to this area. In 1488 James IV of Scotland took a liking to local
Blackford beer brewed with pure Ochil Hills spring water. The first legal
whisky distillery was recorded at Blackford in 1798, though no doubt the
quality of the local water encouraged 'cottage industry distilling' previously!
A new brewery openned in Blackford in 1830 and in 1898 a large maltings was
completed. In 1979 a spring water bottling plant was built followed by another
in 1991. Tullibardine distillery however was mothballed in 1995 but reopened
in 2003 under new management.
At Blackford, Scotland's national hero, William Wallace
is said to have defeated a small English force as they crossed the ford on
the Allan Water around 1296. Sir David Murray founded a Collegiate Church
at Tullibardine in 1445 and a parish school was added in 1599.
A woollen mill was built in
1802 and expanded into a substantial blanket factory in 1825. In 1838 a post
office openned and in 1849 the railway arrived. However in 1956 the station
closed and in 1978 Blackford & Tullibardine were bypassed by the new
A9 trunk road. Both events lead to a reduction of businesses and services
Tullibardine distillery is
the focus of a new retail complex and visitor centre at Blackford.
Check out the full Local Directory, Visitor Guide, and Business Services.