Comrie is in the heart of
scenic western Strathearn and where the Scottish Highlands truly begin. Situated
at the meeting of Glens Lednock and Artney within the Strathearn area of Scotland.
The Romans call the village
Victoria, then the Picts called it Aberlednock. Comrie
itself is a Gaelic name given by the Scots who invaded in the 7-8thC.
The Lednock leads up to the
Deil's Cauldron waterfall and above this the town is overlooked by a hilltop
granite obelisk commemorating Henry Dundas, 1st Viscount Melville (1742-1811), Scottish lawyer and
politician. Dundas was the first Secretary of State for War and the last person to be impeached in the
Comrie is sometimes called the Shakin' Toon because of the number of small earth tremors
it has experienced. It lies on the Highland Boundary Fault, a major fault line which runs right
across Scotland from Grampian to Argyll. In 1874 the Earthquake House was built on solid rock to
hold a primative seismometer to monitor the tremors. A more modern device has now been installed
and this can be viewed through a window.
Checkout the full Comrie Directory with local
accommodation, businesses, community, restaurant & shopping websites.
Check out the full Local Directory, Visitor Guide, and Business Services.